Florida Southern College
Repeatedly called out as one of America’s most beautiful campuses, Florida Southern College is the largest single-site collection of Wright architecture in the world.
Wright sought to create a “truly American campus” and designed an 80-acre network of buildings and covered walkways radiating from a central hub. Beginning in 1938 with the Annie Pfeiffer Chapel—the angular focal point of the Methodist school’s campus—Wright would see 12 of his 18 envisioned structures take shape over the next 20 years. Uniformly constructed of tan-colored concrete, Wright’s “Child of the Sun” integrates ornament within the patterning and texturing of each structure’s walls and stained glass. Wright’s completed structures include: Annie Pfeiffer Chapel, the Buckner Building (originally the Roux Library), the Ordway Building, the Danforth Chapel, the Polk County Science Building, the Watson Fine Building, the Water Dome, the Three Seminars (the L.A. Raulerson Building) and the Esplanades.