Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation to Celebrate Wright’s Birthday with Discovery Day at Taliesin West
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation | May 10, 2019
For Frank Lloyd Wright’s birthday, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is inviting the community to celebrate at a free open house, where they can explore Taliesin West, enjoy live entertainment, and participate in fun hands-on demonstrations.
In celebration of Frank Lloyd Wright’s 152nd birthday on Saturday, June 8, 2019, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is inviting the community to enjoy a day of exploring at Discovery Day, an all-ages open house event at Taliesin West. During the first-ever Discovery Day, you’ll have a chance to learn more about the work the Foundation is doing to preserve Wright’s legacy, as well as enjoy live entertainment and pop-up shops from local makers. Admission for Discovery Day is free, but an advance reservation is required to guarantee entry!
As you make your way through Wright’s winter home desert laboratory, you’ll stop at different stations throughout the campus to participate in a variety of activities and demonstrations from Foundation staff members, including:
- Learn from the Licensing Department about a new print-on-demand program that allows you to enjoy Wright-inspired textiles, and discover design options for your own home!
- Get an inside look into challenges and techniques of the Preservation Department, with some of the basics of building conservation science, as well as how technology can be used to analyze material composition and methods of degradation involving wood, finishes, and masonry.
- View some of the Box Projects from collections. The traditional Box Projects were originally gifts made by apprentices and Fellowship members on Wright’s birthday and at Christmas. They were presented in a communal gift box, the contents of which might include drawings, poems, music, pressed flowers, fabrics, and much more.
- Check out the Pop-Up Shop, where the Frank Lloyd Wright Store invites you to dive deeper into the work of local artisans including:
- Arlee Kasselman Jewelry
- Jodi Bombardier Jewelry
- WhenLifeGivesURocks by Teri Welsch
- Loving Earth Pottery by Calvin Hiser
- RK3 Handcrafted Fine Arts
- Get hands-on with the Education Department and take part in two activities: a bridge-building lab and a cyanotype photographic printing workshop.
- Watch a classic film once shown at Taliesin West during Wright’s time, The Wizard of Oz, as well as a video introduction to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, and a 2017 BBC documentary Frank Lloyd Wright: The Man Who Built America.
“We’re so excited to showcase and share all of the exciting things we’re working on at the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, and hope to build connections with the community that will last for many years to come,” Kevin Conley, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Vice President of Public Engagement said. “Discovery Day is an opportunity for us to welcome everyone to experience Wright’s great legacy firsthand, while exploring his winter home and desert camp.”