TALIESIN WEST IS CLOSED THROUGH APRIL 30

Out of an abundance of caution for our staff and visitors, Taliesin West will be closed for all public access through the end of the month. We will be monitoring the situation and reviewing this decision on a moment to moment basis, making the best decision in the interest of the health and safety of our visitors and staff.

Click here to learn more.

 

Menu Search

Pettit Chapel

When William Pettit, a beloved physician from northern Iowa, died suddenly, the state mourned, with newspapers suggesting that perhaps only the state governor was more popular.

Built

1906

Client

Emma Glassner Pettit

Address

Harrison St. at Webster St.

Status

National Register of Historic Places. Open to the public.

To honor her husband Emma Pettit commissioned Wright to design the Pettit Chapel as a public memorial. The small, understated chapel is one of the earliest examples of Wright’s Prairie style. Its cruciform plan terminates in lateral porches, capped by a low, hipped roof and broad eaves. Bands of art glass window and a central fireplace dominate the interior. Completed in 1907, the chapel stands next to the grave of Mr. Pettit in the Belvidere Cemetery. It has undergone two significant restorations (1977 and 2003) and remains open to the public.

News and updates from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation