Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Muirhead Farmhouse for Robert and Elizabeth Muirhead in 1950.
He proposed a Usonian-style residence that would accommodate the needs of a working farm. Built of Chicago brick, Tidewater Red Cypress and concrete, Wright separated the bedrooms from the more public areas with a closed pergola, which created a tranquil sleep environment. The house underwent an extensive restoration in 2003 and now remains in the care of the Muirhead family. The surrounding farmlands—now the Muirhead Springs Preserve—have been turned into prairie grasslands.