SC Johnson Offers Global Support During Pandemic
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation | Feb 16, 2021
Since March of 2020, SC Johnson has donated millions in financial assistance and product to organizations in countries around the world, including local Wisconsin communities where the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed SC Johnson headquarters reside.
SC Johnson’s relationship with architectural icon Frank Lloyd Wright began in 1936, when third-generation SC Johnson leader H.F. Johnson, Jr. sought out the famed architect. Designs were in development for the company’s new Administration Building, but H.F. wanted a new, more modern approach, even though ground had already been broken and construction was set to start. H.F. later explained, “Anybody can build a typical building. I wanted to build the best office building in the world, and the only way to do that was to get the greatest architect in the world.” Thus began a relationship between Frank Lloyd Wright and SC Johnson that continues to this day.
Today, two Wright-designed buildings at SC Johnson’s Racine headquarters are on the National Register of Historic Places: the Administration Building and Research Tower.
The Administration Building features more than one-half acre of open workspace in the Great Workroom and circular elevators that run from the basement to the Penthouse level, giving a panoramic view of the building. In 1936, H.F. also commissioned Wright to design a home for his family. Completed in 1939, Wingspread sits on 30 acres and was the last and largest of Wright’s Prairie houses.
Wright’s commitment to creativity and innovation continues to impact many aspects of SC Johnson’s business – from research and product development, to culture and values, to how SC Johnson people view their work on a day-to-day basis. You can see Wright’s impact in some of the company’s best-known products like Raid®, Glade®, OFF!® and Pledge®, which were all invented in the Research Tower.
Wherever we operate, SC Johnson wants to help make that place better, because we are there. This aspiration began more than a century ago, with our founder, Samuel Curtis Johnson. It’s reinforced by our corporate values statement, and acted on by SC Johnson people around the globe.
As communities worldwide continue to be affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, SC Johnson teams around the world are taking action to support them.
Since March of 2020, SC Johnson has donated more than $15 million in financial assistance and product to hundreds of organizations in more than 30 countries around the world. These resources are being deployed globally to support medical workers, first responders and pressing public needs in health care, children’s education, humanitarian relief and worker training. This includes more than 2 million units of SC Johnson product as well as hand sanitizer that was bottled at a converted line at the company’s largest manufacturing facility in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin.
Some of the organizations that received support include:
SC Johnson was one of the first multinational companies to react to the global pandemic by donating $1 million to the CDC Emergency Response Fund in March 2020. This donation helped strengthen the organization’s global public health infrastructure, so it was better equipped to respond to the pandemic. In addition, the funds were used to support public health responders in local communities, develop education and awareness campaigns, and help those in need due to quarantine.
SC Johnson donated more than 80,000 First Responder Care Packages, comprised of SC Johnson products that were assembled and distributed by the CDC. Care packages were distributed to first responders across the U.S. to help them keep their families and homes safe and healthy so they could continue to serve their communities.
Save the Children
SC Johnson provided $1,000,000 to support Save the Children programs that educate children on the importance of personal hygiene and handwashing, with the goal of slowing the rate of transmission and limiting the impacts of the pandemic and future health crises on children and their families.
Gateway Technical College Foundation
SC Johnson donated $540,000 to fund the High-Skilled Occupations for Professional Employment (HOPE) Program that will help provide students the skills necessary to compete for high-demand jobs in career paths such as construction, advanced manufacturing, information technology and health sciences. The program was created as a rapid-response solution to offset the impact COVID-19 has had on the local workforce in Racine County, which SC Johnson has called home for 135 years.
Racine, Wisconsin Community
In March 2020, SC Johnson made an initial donation of $200,000 to help support urgent public needs in the Racine area. Funds were used to:
- Support Ascension Healthcare’s local medical response.
- Aid the Racine Unified School District (RUSD) and the YMCA in providing student meal programs.
- Help the Salvation Army Racine Food Bank, Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization (HALO), Racine County Food Bank and Kingdom Manna Food Pantry continue to replenish their food supplies.
- Coordinate the local purchase of 6,000 books to be distributed to schoolchildren throughout the community with the help of RUSD, the Racine Police Department and the YMCA George Bray Community Center.
Brant Community Healthcare Foundation
This emergency grant of $185,000 was used to buy vital medical equipment (ventilators, transport ventilators, pulse oximeters and vital sign monitors) to fight COVID-19. SC Johnson also donated hand sanitizer and other cleaning products to the hospital.
In Latin America, the company donated more than $500,000 and 600,000 units of product to assist those on the front lines and those in vulnerable communities. Donations were made to a range of organizations across the region and include:
- Launching a new line of hand sanitizers in Brazil and donating more than 300,000 units to health care and community organizations.
- Partnering with the Red Cross in Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica and Mexico to help the most vulnerable families and communities by delivering humanitarian aid, assisting sanitation campaigns, and buying personal protective equipment, disinfectants and cleaning supplies for health care services.
- Supporting World Vision in Peru to provide family hygiene, food and handwashing kits.
SC Johnson donated more than $450,000 and more than $1 million in product to a range of institutions across 15 European countries. These include:
- Supporting the NHS Charities Together in the U.K., which provides support to NHS patients through the NHS staff and volunteers on the front lines, with a focus on caring for mental well-being along with providing necessities such as food and longer-term recovery.
- Partnering with Red Cross Societies across Austria, Germany, Hungary and the U.K. to deliver essential items to both health workers and those most vulnerable.
- Providing equipment to Luigi Sacco Hospital through Fondazione Francesca Rava in Italy.
SC Johnson supported organizations across Asia Pacific in the fight against COVID-19 with more than $1 million in product and financial donations. These include:
- Donating 1 million yuan in cash and product to the Red Cross in China to aid in its response efforts.
- Partnering with Save the Children to help educate and enable children and families in China, India, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam to cope with the pandemic.
- Providing hand sanitizer and soap products to nursery schools and community-focused organizations like the YMCA and NPO Florence in Japan.
- Providing financial support to the National Relief Fund and PM CARES Fund in India for combat, containment and relief efforts against COVID-19.
- Funding more than 400 nights of safety from domestic violence for women and children in Australia and New Zealand through the local Women’s Community Refuges.
ABOUT SC JOHNSON
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace, and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care, as well as professional products. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF! ®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE® and RIDSECT®. The 135-year-old company employs approximately 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com