Menu Search

News and updates from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Taliesin Tour Season Begins in Wisconsin

Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation | Mar 30, 2017

“You can wander through Taliesin for hours at a time and never stop seeing something new.” – Robert Campbell, Architectural Critic

The inspiring architecture and landscapes of Taliesin, the personal home of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright, reopens to visitors in April and continues through November. Taliesin Preservation offers a variety of tours across Wright’s country estate, as well as a full complement of cultural and educational programming. The complete range of tours is offered every day May through October. During the shoulder months of April and November, one tour is offered ¾ the comprehensive two-hour Taliesin House Tour on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Taliesin is the home, studio, school, and 800-acre agricultural estate of architect Frank Lloyd Wright — his primary residence from 1911 until his death in 1959.

With buildings from nearly every decade of Wright’s life from the 1890s to the 1950s on land homesteaded by his Welsh grandparents, Taliesin is one of the most significant architectural anthologies in the world. Taliesin stands as a lifelong laboratory for what Wright called “organic architecture.” Rebuilt twice and modified routinely, the Taliesin residence is often described as Wright’s autobiography in wood and stone.

“We are excited to announce the start of the 2017 Taliesin tour season and a milestone year ahead,” said Carrie Rodamaker, Taliesin Preservation Executive Director. “We celebrate the 150th anniversary of the birth of Frank Lloyd Wright, the 50th anniversary of the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center, and the launching of the Frank Lloyd Wright Trail in Wisconsin.”

Taliesin Preservation this year reintroduces the popular Twilight at Taliesin tour every Friday evening in June through September. In this relaxed house tour, guests may wander as they like, enjoying time in Taliesin’s exquisite indoor and outdoor spaces, taking photos and enjoying hors d’oeuvres and wine. The Taliesin Winter Festival also returns this year, expanded to three Saturdays during the holiday season: Save the date for November 25th, December 2nd, and December 9th. Festival participants enjoy hour-long horse-drawn wagon rides across the estate, a stop at the fully restored Tan-y-Deri Prairie Home for warm beverages, and free arts and crafts are offered at the Visitor Center.

 

All tours begin and end at the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center, which celebrates its 50th Anniversary in 2017. Inside, visitors may browse the Taliesin Bookstore and dine at the Riverview Terrace Café. The café, now an in-house venture, is a Taliesin farm-to-table restaurant featuring estate-grown produce and tasteful cuisine for locals and travelers alike. Overlooking the beautiful Wisconsin River, the Visitor Center is the only structure Wright designed expressly for the food-service industry, and today it serves as the gateway to Taliesin.

Taliesin Preservation looks forward to sharing this exciting milestone year with its visitors. Advance reservations are strongly recommended for all tours. Walk-ins are welcome as space permits.

For tour descriptions, pricing and reservations, call (877) 588-7900 or visit taliesinpreservation.org

News and updates from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation