Menu Search

Affleck House

This building, exemplary of Wright’s Usonian style, represents the architect’s answer to low-cost housing for the average American.

Built

1940

Client

Gregory S. Affleck and his wife Elizabet

Address

1925 N. Woodward Ave.

Status

National Register of Historic Places. Open to the public with tours available.

Website

The one-story structure eliminates the attic to cut down on unusable space, save money, and echo the horizontality the plains of the American Midwest. In radical opposition to the typical style of the day, its kitchen, living and dining rooms merge to form one unified space, with large windows further enhancing the open living that Wright promoted. The main living space spans a forty-foot ravine and is anchored to the hill by the bedroom wing that culminates in a ground-level master suite. The Afflecks lived in the house for the rest of their lives. In 1978, their children donated the house to the Lawrence Technological University so that it could be open for tours to the general public.

News and updates from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation